Thursday, November 3, 2011

DOWNHILLLLLLLLLLLL

The marathon is over.  Finally.  I was excited about it, then dreading it, got excited about it, hated it while running it, and then it was over. Now, on day four post marathon, everything that was sore (legs, feet, hips, etc) finally begins to feel better....it was appropriate that Halloween was the day after, because I was walking like Frankenstein.
                                                          my kids on Halloween

 Feeling mobile today, but still bathing in Bengay and popping advil like it's candy.  Even my boobs hurt....what little boobs I have, they hurt.  My sports bra that I always race in left cuts on my chest from the constant movement and rubbing.....didn't see that coming.

Here's what my trusty Garmin said I finished in:

The 26.2
     The marathon challenged me with many unforeseens - like the slight snowy dusting we got the day before, the 34 degree weather the morning of, not feeling my feet or legs when the marathon started, how my body would go from hypothermia to tropical in 2 miles, and the Gatorade.  I knew going into the marathon, that traveling with my kids would stress me out, sleeping not in  my own bed wouldn't offer me optimal comfort - add two sick kids and flu-like symptoms for me a couple days before the race, I was in full on panic mode.  I went out Friday and Saturday with the intention of running 2 miles and I could barely run .7 - major cramps, headaches.....did not see all that coming.  My friends calmed me down and equated it to nerves.  They were all right. 
     I was warned about the hills, but had done a decent amount of training on hills while pushing my kids in the double stroller, so those weren't much of a challenge.  The icy bridge on one of those hills was a problem.  I was prepared for the wall at mile 20, not mile 15.  Either way, thinking back through how I ran those 26.2 miles, I think "Damnit, I could have run that so much smarter....I knew better....I was warned.....".  First off, I didn't look at my watch much the first 14 miles.....bad idea.  I was feeling good, just running along, you know, elbow to elbow with 30,000 other psychos.  No big deal.  When I did look at my watch, some of my splits said 7:27 or my favorite, 6:55......whoops.  I started off way to fast and chugged Gatorade at every water stop....I never drink Gatorade on my long runs, why did I do it now....so, mile 14, I ate a GU, normal, then mile 15, cramps.  From there, the rest of the marathon SUCKED.  Once you stop running at a good pace for whatever reason, it is HELL to get back going. I walked.....got teary eyed....and jogged.....all in that cycle....over and over, for 10 miles.  And I am looking at people holding up signs thinking "Stop cheering, shut the fuck up, YOU get out here and do it"  - all the people lining the route made me embarrassed that I was walking and everyone else was running along, no big deal....and then I'm thinking, "Oh crap, they're all tracking me back home, I can't stop" so I'd give myself a swift kick in the ass and start jogging again......then cry....then walk.....

The clocktime said I finished at 4:01:??, but my Garmin said that I ran 26.47 in 3:59 - I know I finished ahead of the 4 hour pacer, so I am going to stick with a sub 4 first marathon.  Even with the 4:01, my finish was in the top 22% of all the runners and top 14% of female runners.  Still not too shabby.  I definitely underestimated the marathon.  My easy going, I'll just run and feel it out and see what happens attitude didn't work with me this go around......note to self....when running a marathon, you have to be smart about it.  Something that I wasn't - so, live and learn.  Next time...if there is a next time.  After the kids and I got home the other day, I saw a Marine running with a full pack on and I almost puked.  That was, hands down, the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life.  It is such an accomplishment and I am happy and proud that I finished and did it under four hours, but I feel like I could have done it better.  Next time, I will be smarter.  And pay attention.  So, here's the amazing medal I got for finishing the marathon: 

My husband I don't think has ever been more proud of me than he is now.  I feel like a different person (for the better) than when he left.....in such a short amount of time, I've done so much for ME.  It's nice to do for you, ya know and feel like you are accomplishing things to better yourself.  He actually wants to RUN with me when he comes home.....a marathon.  Dave hates running....then again, ask anyone who knows me, and I hated running.  People do funny things to get by during times of stress....some buckle under the pressure and others persevere....and then there are those of us that run.  I am so glad I chose to rise and run.  I feel like a better person, and stronger individual, I feel like I can handle a lot more.  By tweaking little things in my life, I have found ways to tweak and better handle the bigger things.  It's good stuff....good positivity.  So, now it's all downhill from here.  I will run a few more races to close out the year and then we'll be getting ready for my hubby to come home.  Four more classes to go until I am done with school, then hopefully everything will settle.  It seems as though my kids and I operate on two switches ON or OFF.  It'll be nice to pump the brakes. 

These two kids cannot wait to get their hands on their daddy:

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this TE. You are amazing, inspiring, and all around awesome. You ran as smart as you could, in light of traveling by yourself, sick kiddos in tow, and a million other things on your plate. Of course you will make adjustments and improve next time, and that's what makes you great. I LOVE your medal. It's gorgeous! And a symbol of an incredible accomplishment. I knew Dave would be ecstatic and I am so happy he wants to achieve this same goal WITH YOU when he returns. Way to go girl. Congrats. So proud of you. :) Now to bully you into another one next year...eh, actually, I bet you'll bully me. And I'll probably join ya.

    ReplyDelete